extend EOL for Red Hat Linux 9?

James Ralston qralston+ml.redhat-fedora at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Apr 13 08:33:57 UTC 2004

On 2004-04-05 at 19:34:27-04 William Hooper <whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> James Ralston said:
>
> > > Either a) go with Fedora Legacy or b) convince another third
> > > party to support it (like some are doing for 7.3).
> >
> > Three words: embargoed security vulnerabilities.
>
> One word: Progeny

Does Progeny know about embargoed security vulnerabilities?  From
their web site, I can find no evidence that they do.

> > Red Hat has knowledge of what security vulnerabilities have been
> > discovered but not yet made public.  As a result, Red Hat has time
> > to prepare relevant security errata and release them on the same
> > day that the vulnerabilities are made public.
>
> I see no reason that members of the Fedora Legacy project couldn't become
> members of the same trusted list.

I suspect that this won't happen, but I wouldn't mind being proved
wrong.

> Consider the schedule for FC2 has been public for a while and Red
> Hat isn't jumping to extend EOL.

Ah, but remember, the schedule slipped.  If the original schedule had
held, FC2 would be out before RHL9 went EOL, and I wouldn't have made
this request to begin with.

James