Moving from RH to FC1

Taylor, ForrestX forrestx.taylor at intel.com
Tue Apr 13 18:28:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 11:13, Betti Ann & Preston Smith wrote:
> A number of months ago I made my first foray into the Linux world by
> installing RH 9.  I worked with it for a month or so and for various
> reasons had to abandon it.
>
> I have retained very little of what i learned and have decided to give it
> another try.  In the interests of work with the latest offering I am
> thinking about installing FC1.
>
> I need advice on how to approach this.
>
> On bootup I can select either Linux or Win98.  My Linux installation is
> restricted to a single 1 GB disk drive
>
> Should I delete the RH install and start over - if so, how should I do this?
>
> OR
>
> Should I run the FC1 install from RH?  How would I do this.
>
> Should I remove the option screen presented at boot up and let the FC1
> install process install a new one??  If so how do i do it?
>
> Sorry for such basic questions but I have to start somewhere!

If I were you, I would just do a fresh Fedora install.  Make backups of
any important data on your Red Hat system (if you have any).  Then just
put in the disc and boot from it.  At the partitioning stage, format
your current RH partition and install it there.  Since you only have a
1GB disk, you should be careful to choose only the programs that you
need.

Forrest