nvidia driver works w/ new kernel and inittab 3, but not 5

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Apr 17 15:04:01 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 17.04.2004 schrieb Clint Harshaw um 15:17:

> I wasn't successful :-(

sad

> However, I have new information to report. I am able to get the driver
> to work immediately after compiling it with the 2179 kernel by startx in
> run level 3. But when I reboot -- whether I am in run level 3 or 5 --
> the error message below appears:
>
> nvidia.o module for 2.4.22-1.2179.nptl not found
> Disabling nvidia driver
>
> I now look back at my original post, and believe that my description of
> the symptoms was not complete. I was starting X immediately after the
> compiling of the driver, and the nvidia driver worked. While I was in X,
> I changed the run level to 5 and would reboot, only to see the nvidia
> driver not work. In other words, I do not believe I ever tested a
> *reboot* in run level 3!! I believe my current situation is a more
> accurate and complete description of the symptoms:

Please, be more careful with your descriptions. The sentence "a *reboot*
in run level 3" makes no sense. Do not mix things. It does not matter
whether you start a reboot in runlevel 1 or 3 or 5, nor whether it will
automatically reboot into 1 or 3 or 5.

> - nvidia driver works in 2179 when starting X immediately after
> compiling the driver following artoo's instructions exactly.
> - nvidia.o module for the 2179 kernel isn't available when I'm booting,
> thus the driver isn't starting when X starts, no matter whether I am in
> run level 3 or 5.

Unfortunately you did less to find out the cause of the problem. It is
no effort to blame you! Seeing the situation you describe you will have
to ask yourself: what might be the reason that directly after the driver
compilation it is loaded running kernel .2179 while after a reboot the
system does not find the nvidia.o module. That is the point and not
whether rebooting to runlevel 3 or 5.

So lets gather some data. I suggest you do the following tasks to
discover what's going wrong.

1) Compile the NVidia driver. It will be loaded then. Find out where it
is by running "find /lib/modules -name nvidia.o". It should be
"/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2179.nptl/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o". If the
module is not in the kernel module's directory you see already the
reason for the failure.
Then check all nvidia.o modules the find run printed out for their
dates. One of them must have the current date. Will it be compiled for
the old .2174 kernel? Then follow the advise to uninstall the old kernel
source.
Check also that /etc/modules.conf contains a line "alias char-major-195
nvidia".

> and
>
> - nvidia driver and module work fine when booting into 2174.

> Clint

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2179.nptl
Sirendipity 16:44:35 up 1 day, 20:33, load average: 0.10, 0.05, 0.01
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]