Network Problem

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 20 04:43:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 07:33:49PM -0600, Eric Diamond wrote:
> Monday, April 19, 2004 5:41 PM Sébastien Bisoglio
> >
> > 2 led but my transfer rate is 5mo / sec.

> What units are you using? Mo/sec is not one I'm familiar with.

> > Bus  2, device  11, function  0:
> >      Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX [Cyclone]

> Hmmm. 3Com with a cyclone chipset. Is it a new card?

Tinker with  mii-tool.
Specifically

 mii-too  --advertise=media interface

 media can be one of: 100baseT4, 100baseTx-FD,100baseTx-HD,
 10baseT-FD, and 10baseT-HD.

What you should see is the link light go dark for a blink then a new
physical layer connection is made.  It could be that the negotiation
is not good and kicking it again might link up ....  I am finding that
FD is hard for many inexpensive cards, switches and drivers.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l