Network Problem

Eric Diamond eric at ediamond.net
Tue Apr 20 05:07:24 UTC 2004

Monday, April 19, 2004 8:39 PM Luc Bouchard added:
> A few years ago when the 3C905 cards were the default card
> for our hardware we had alot of problems with the 3c905b
> variant. None of these cards would auto-negotiate properly to
> high speeds, all of them were replaced with 905c and the
> problem went away.  This may be what you are encountering.
> Check your other server for the model of the card, it might
> be a newer one.

A distinct possibility. I also remember lots of framing errors coming
off of 3C595s as well.

Of course I also remember a time (back in the thin-net days) when the
3C509b was the Cadalac, no that's wrong, they were more like the Rolls
Royce of ethernet cards. We could get a good 30% more run length if we
used only those cards. Just one from another vendor could take an entire
segment down...

Now I see a 3Com card and cringe. Give me a Intel 10/100 any day.

Eric Diamond
eDiamond Networking & Security
303-246-9555
eric at ediamond.net