Huge Partition

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Tue Apr 20 15:51:27 UTC 2004

I partitioned with parted. The man page for fdisk isn't a glowing
endorsement for the utility, so I didn't use it.

fdisk -l -u /dev/sdb     says I have a 2000.4 GB partition. However, it also
gives me an end figure of a large negative number. The parted, df and fdisk
utilities ought to get together and come up with one story. 8-)

I think I'm OK, but those negative numbers from both parted and fdisk, as
well as 1008GB reported via df make me wonder.

I recall an early version of NetWare wrapping around the end of a large disk
at the time (240Meg - that was large back then) and rewriting space on the
front of the drive because its partition table was hosed up.

I guess I'll keep writing the test files just to see what happens. I expect
the script to error out when it hits the 2TB wall. That will be tomorrow
about 3PM.

Thanks for your help.

--
Bill Gradwohl