Webalizer-like statistics for sendmail

Philip A. Chapman pchapman at pcsw.us
Fri Apr 23 14:58:42 UTC 2004

Everyone,

I am looking to find some software that will create usage reports for
sendmail.  Basic stuff such as the number of messages coming in, going
out, and who are the heaviest users.  Ideally, it would be easy to
install and have a graphic representation, like webalizer does for
apache.

In the failed attempts department, I've tried isoqlog
(http://www.enderunix.org/isoqlog/) but found that the numbers that it
reports are very low.  For instance, I subscribe to this list and
isoqlog only reported me receiving 38 messages yesterday.

On the easy to install end of the spectrum, the sendmail_stats script
(http://www.reedmedia.net/software/sendmail_stats/) gives what I want,
but I'd have to write a second script to chop the log up into days since
the sendmail_stats script does not report by day, but by log file.  I'd
like to know perl, but don't really have the time to try to learn it now
just to make this script work for me.  this script doesn't produce the
pretty charts and graphs that management likes and it treats email
addresses with mixed case as different users (pchapman at pcsw.us has
different stats from PChapman at pcsw.us).

On the difficult to install end of the spectrum, it looks like I may be
able to get mrtg (http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/) to
do it too, but it's an additional feature that can somehow be installed
and/or configured.  I can't figure out how to set up monitoring of just
the mail usage.

Can anyone give me any advice on software that meets my needs or how to
get mrtg to do it?
--
Philip A. Chapman

Application Development:
Java, Visual Basic (MCP), PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL
Linux, Windows 9x, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP