Samba fstab

Matt Morgan matt.morgan-fedora-list at brooklynmuseum.org
Fri Apr 23 17:06:56 UTC 2004

On 04/23/2004 12:40 PM, Adam T. Gautier wrote:

> I am trying to add a line /etc/fstab that is a Samba mount of a
> windows share.
>
> /etc/fstab
> //192.168.2.101/movies  /mnt/movies             smbfs
> noauto,user,user,username=guest,password=password 0 0
> (All on one line, can't help the line wrap in email)
>
> sudo mount /mnt/movies works fine but when I right click in the Gnome
> desktop or try to do the mount as a regular user I get:
>
> smbmnt must be installed suid root for direct user mounts (500,500)
> smbmnt failed: 1
>
> How do I fix this so I can do smb mounts as a user?

chmod +s /usr/bin/smbmnt

(I think?)

> Would't setuid be a big security hole?

In the big picture, no. It's only necessary because rights are more
restricted to start with. So with setuid you can give back fewer
privileges on an as-needed basis, rather than opening up a bigger set of
privileges to start with.

In this case, you're really not making anything but the obvious (users
mounting smb shares) possible.

> I can mount a cdrom as a user no problem, does this us setuid?

No clue on that one!