Radeon 9600 AQ/RV350 (Radeon 9600SE) on FC1 AMD64

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Apr 26 17:29:11 UTC 2004

Just installed FC1 x86_64 on an AMD64.  Like an idiot, I went and got
a Radeon 9600 video card (the mobo only supports 1.5V AGP cards and the
only spare I had lying about was a 3.3V).  I didn't notice the lovely
little "SE" sticker on the box until I got home and installed
everything.

Well, the 9600SE is not supported by the radeon driver under XFree86
4.3.0 (it _is_ under 4.4.0).  The card shows up as two PCI devices,
1002:4151 and 1002:4171.  Attempting to force the card to use the
standard radeon driver via XF86Config's "BusID" options ('BusID
"PCI:1:0:0"' for the first device, 'BusID "PCI:1:0:1"' for the second)
will not work (XFree complains that no matching device works for
PCI:1:0:1 and no adaptors are loaded).  I haven't tried the "ChipID"
options yet.

The driver on ATI's website looks nice, but you have to build part of
it to match your kernel.  Unfortunately, it's distributed with a static
library built for a 32-bit environment.  So, my question is, has anyone
else gotten this device to work on the AMD64?  If not, can anyone come
up with gcc and ld options to try to get the ATI driver to build this
in a 32-bit environment on the AMD64 or options that will allow the
linker to deal with the elf32 format in the library yet come up with
a 64-bit driver?

P.S. I did build XFree 4.4.0 just for giggles.  It works fine, but
Mozilla won't run as I didn't build the 32-bit libraries as well as the
64-bit libraries and Mozilla, as shipped, is a 32-bit beastie (it's not
happy about the lack of a 32-bit libX11.so.6 library).
-        God is real...........unless declared integer or long       -