Motherboard Change- will Fedora survive?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Apr 26 19:45:05 UTC 2004

jludwig wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 10:10, Jonathan Rawle wrote:
>
>>Gary Waters wrote:
>>

>>>Yes, this is a newbie question...sorry ;-)
>>>
>>>I presently have an ECS K7S5A motherboard with an SIS-735 chipset. I'm
>>>running an AMD XP2000+ CPU. I am considering upgrading to the ECS KT-600
>>>Motherboard with a VIA KT600 Chipset:
>>>
>>>http://www.ecsusa.com/products/af1lite.html
>>>
>>>The Board does have SATA ports, which I will not be using. I will more
>>>than likely upgrade to an XP2600+ or higher CPU.
>>>settings for
>>>My question is simple: will Fedora survive the transition and/or what
>>>should I expect in terms of results?
>>>

>>I replaced my motherboard a while back, and the only problem was caused by
>>moving the hard disk to a different controller (hde to hda). As far as I
>>could see, there were no references to hde anywhere, yet the filesystem
>>check at boot was still looking for hde and thought there was a serious
>>disk error - it dropped to a root shell and refused to go further. In the
>>end, I had to comment out the relevant lines in rc.sysinit. After booting,
>>I put the lines back, and from then onwards it worked perfectly.
>>
>>I reported this in one of the newsgroups at the time, but no-one could
>>figure out why this problem occurred.
>>
>>Once that problem was solved, all other hardware was detected perfectly,
>>including graphics, sound, USB hubs, etc. So unless you are moving the hd,
>>it should be fine.
>>

>>Jonathan
>
> Where I worked I had a 20GB drive I used to install in systems with
> RH9.0 to diagnose system problems, from PI, Pent Pros., Duron, Athlon,
> and on without any issues except 3D video cards.
> Go at it!

I have one of those in a schizo case (IDE, USB and Firewire).  Very
useful.  Again, make sure the kernel is built for the lowest common
denominator--in this case, either the BOOT kernel or a uniprocessor i386
kernel. An Athlon-optimized kernel will not run on anything but an
Athlon, 686 kernels will blow up on a 386, you get the idea.
>  --
> jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>

-    If your broker is so damned smart...why is he still working?    -