Motherboard Change- will Fedora survive?

alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue Apr 27 00:37:12 UTC 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, fredex wrote:

> > When it died suddenly, I was faced with the task of building a new
> > system. I went to my favorite PC hobby shop (PC Microcenter) and bought
> > a bare bones system. To make a long story short, I had 3 bad power
> > supplies, so the last time it was replaced, I had them load boot the
> > system first.
> >
> > Well, the manager asked me what OS I was running. When I told him LInux,
> > he smiled and called on of his Windoze bigots to watch the system boot.
> >
> > system recognized that the hardware platform had changed (P II to P
> > III), and proceeded to reconfigure itself and boot properly. The only
> > minor problem I has was my swap space since I upgraded from 128 MB to
> > 512 MB. I changed that and the system has been running smoothly ever
> > since.
> >
> > So, go ahead and change the hardware, Linux is not as dependent or
> > stringent as Windoze....
>
> This is true. And in the OP's case almost certainly a no-brainer, since
> he's staying within the same CPU family.
>
> But,...
>
> I once tried to downgrade from a PIII to a K6-2. Can you say "disaster" ?

I think that has more to do with the bizzare K6-2 than Linux.

The only issue I have had has been alignment on partition tables. (Some
bioses seem to see things a little differently.)  It has not caused any
problems though.  (That I noticed.)

Because Linux does not have the proprietary clinginess, it does not chain
itself to the hardware in nasty anti-social ways. One of the reasons I run
Linux on all my home systems.