signature.asc files

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Tue Apr 27 16:47:16 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-04-27 10:31, David Collantes whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

>>"Some user complained that my PGP messages are attachments!
>>That user is using obsolete and broken software. PGP/MIME is the only
>>way to use PGP with email that is actually specified (RFC 2015) and not
>>

>[...]
>
>Good then, I assume no one will have a problem with S/MIME signed messages
>either, right?

I certainly hope not!  For years I have made it a habit to sign all my
email.  In that way, if someone ever pops up and says I sent
such-and-such an email, and it's NOT signed, I can argue that it was
forged more likely than not.  OR, if it's signed but doesn't verify, I
can prove it's been modified.  And the signed copy from my "Sent Mail"
archives can prove exactly what I did send.

--
Fritz Whittington
Dependence on computers is apparently making a significant fraction of the population incurably stupid.  (Fritz Whittington, Risks Digest 22.61)