recommending reiserfs?

Benno Goedhart benno at truesurfer.net
Tue Apr 27 22:44:06 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Di, den 27.04.2004 schrieb Stefanescu Vlad um 21:19:
>

>>Hi. Got a question for all you gurus out there ! :)
>>I came upon this filesystem (new to me), which is said by many to be
>>more effective that ext3.
>>It is said to have an internal arborescent system which is supposed to
>>improve disk performance.
>> From hands-on experience... is that true?
>>Thanks in advance...
>>
>>Vlad,
>

> In addition to what Steven replied, many people reported data loss using
> reiserfs in the past. The reiserfs maintenance tools often make a crash
> situation and recovering even worse. Well, if the man developer (Hans
> Reiser) himself states that over all speed is above data
> security/integrity as a development goal ... What will you expect then?
> I once lost data and never touched reiserfs again, sharing this
> experience with many others.

And thanks to people like you it's not getting any more popular.
ReiserFS is evolving and getting better every time. I've used ReiserFS
exclusively since I'm using Linux since last year summer. First on
Gentoo and now on Fedora. I never had any problems with it. Even today
when I had to reset my computer the hard way (Fedora locked up) I
haven't lost any data.

Ext3 maybe legacy and very good supported and proven. But it's a really
slow FS and the journalling is terrible.