Qos/TrafficShaping(on Shorewall) Howto available for Web-viewing

Tim Sheets tsheets at insightbb.com
Fri Apr 30 23:39:44 UTC 2004

Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> Hey.. Since you're the ISP.. May I ask you a question?
>
> Say I'm with ISP X, and I'm subscribed to their 384/128k package.
> They say it's best effort. I want to know, how do they Cap the connection
> to the said 384k.
>
> What sort of trafficshaping etc do they do? TCP Window shaping?
> Packet dropping?? ACKs??

I'm not the one you asked, but what the heck....

The group I work for isn't your typical ISP (state funded educational
network), but most of our clients connect with T1 or similar.  We use
Cisco gear, and limit bandwidth with class based policies in most cases,
and "old fasioned" rate limits in others.

Basically, define the limit and, where applicable, define special
traffic to get priority (H.323) and stamp/pass that, drop what exceeds
the limit (very simplified explanation).  Since we don't do much in the
way of DSL, I am not sure how that equipment is configured to limit traffic.

Tim