mplayer audio problem

david walcroft david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 1 03:27:46 UTC 2004

david walcroft wrote:
> Hi
>   In FC 2 using gmplayer from the desktop with alsa/oss/arts
> I'm getting this error,needless to say /dev/mixer exist's and
> had no problem in FC 1.
> Can anybody tell me what it means and what I need to do in a fix.
>
> ALSA lib control.c:654:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL /dev/mixer54%
> alsa-control: mixer attach /dev/mixer error: No such file or directory
>
> [david at reddwarf david]$ ls -l /dev/mix*
> crw-------  1 david root 14,  0 Feb 24 07:02 /dev/mixer
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root      5 Jul 24 16:50 /dev/mixer0 -> mixer
> crw-------  1 david root 14, 16 Feb 24 07:02 /dev/mixer1
>
> Thanks  david

Well I changed my mplayer distro from atrpms to greysector,still get
audio problems though and I don't have a clue as to how a 'device'
works,do similar devices say mplayer audio and xmms audio use devs
in the same manner,as mplayer doesn't work but xmms does.

mplayer audio error:

Checking audio filter chain for 22050Hz/2ch/16bit -> 22050Hz/2ch/16bit...
AF_pre: af format: 2 bps, 2 ch, 22050 hz, little endian signed int
AF_pre: 22050Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Starting playback...

   david