July 2004 Mailing List Stats

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Aug 1 21:53:49 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 10:13, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 12:42, Jeff Vian wrote:
> > Personally, the move of evolution from Ximian to Novell leaves me up in the air about whether I will continue to use it.
>
> I have had similar thoughts.  For the moment I use evolution 1.4.5 on an
> RH8.0 system as my main email server.  (don't throw things please! :)
>
> For now it is working just fine.  And I have numerous filters setup that
> have been doing an excellent job keeping my email sorted and processed.
>
> Been wanting to take a look at Mozilla and Thunderbird to see if they
> will do everything I need but have not made the time yet.  I also want
> to make sure I can import all the stuff I have saved without problems.
>
> I believe I heard that updated versions of evolution are being included
> in Fedora but the link to Novell just makes me think that at some point
> they will pull support for other distributions in an attempt to
> differentiate their distribution and gain market and money.
----
I think Novell deserves the benefit of the doubt. Their purchases of
Ximian and SuSE makes them a major player in open source.

It appears that they are tossing in the plug-in for Exchange for free -
that is a nice gesture since they offer groupwise (which is available
for Linux). It would be real interesting to see them move groupwise
server into open source (I'm not holding my breath).

Anyway, if they decide to pull out, I would presume that it could be
forked (I don't know the license - Novell's web site doesn't make that
clear). On total though, a change in their software licensing at this
point would be a very bad public relations move - something mono
couldn't handle.

Craig