How to stop smb errors

Cowles, Steve steve at stevecowles.com
Mon Aug 2 20:50:11 UTC 2004

Gerry Doris wrote:
> I keep getting flooded with the following error messages:
>
> smbd[8874]:   getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not
> connected
> smbd[8874]:   read_socket_data: recv failure for 4. Error = Connection
> reset by peer

Gerry,

You're not alone. I've seen the above errors since using the samba-3.x
series rpm's. Fortunately, everything is working fine at this end too (as
you also stated). In fact, google shows this error is not just limited to
samba, so I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. I've even tried running
ethereal on both my XP and Samba boxes at the same time trying to capture
what the hell is causing this - but so far, have not been able to recreate
this error during the capture process. :-(

Maybe someday I'll get lucky and be able to capture what is causing this
problem with ethereal. It is annoying.

Steve Cowles