FC2 and PCTel modem

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Aug 2 22:13:47 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Martin Marques wrote:

> I was about to upgrade my FC1 to FC2 a week ago and I realized that I needed
> to get drivers for my PCTel modem (I got it well compiled for the 2.4.x
> kernel of FC1).
> The problem is that I couldn't find anything about compiling the driver for
> kernel 2.6.
> So I got the source code of the latest 2.6.x kernel and comiled it on the FC1
> I have. Up to here, everything went OK, even the kernel was working great. So
> I tried to get the PCTel driver to work, but it gave me a lot of compilation
> errors.
> Has anybody got a PCTel modem to work on a 2.6 kernel?

You probably want to keep an eye on this discussion on the Linmodems
mailing list (www.linmodems.org).  Jan's PCTel driver was not quite
2.6-ready when last I checked.

Meanwhile, you might have some luck with the SmartLink driver
(http://www.smlink.com/main/item.php?ln=en&item_id=84&main_id=32).  The
latest v2.9.9 is supposed to work with kernel 2.6.6 and drives some PCTel
modems.  I haven't tested it thoroughly, but I have it talking to the
PCTel in my Thinkpad T41.  The newest version can use the ALSA modem
driver instead of the proprietary binary drivers that used to be required
(yay!).  In kernel 2.4 (with the proprietary drivers), I found it worked
better for me than Jan's with the PCTel modem in a Latitude C640.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu