what to do after an IP change

Ben Vitale bsvitale at comcast.net
Wed Aug 4 01:05:25 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Am Di, den 03.08.2004 schrieb Ben Vitale um 2:42:
>

>>Hi,
>>  If my cable provider changes my IP while the computer is running, what
>>can I do to update my local hostname?  e.g., the part after bvitale..
>>
>>[bvitale at pcp0010126256pcs ~]$
>>
>>  The reason I ask is because after the IP change, sendmail no longer
>>forwarded my local LogWatch messages properly, because it was trying to
>>send from a hostname that was no longer valid.
>>

>>Ben
>>

>That is the wrong question or strategy. Give your Fedora host a name
>other than localhost and there is no more dynamic hostname change
>
>/etc/sysconfig/network --> HOSTNAME=foo.bar.baz
>
>And reflect your hostname in the /etc/hosts file too for IP mapping.
>
>Alexander

Does my local hostname have to meet some kind of constraint?  For
example, I chose "vandelay":

[bvitale at vandelay ~]$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       vandelay        localhost

Is my hosts file setup correctly?  If yes, then why am I getting errors
like this in sendmail:

Aug  3 21:02:07 vandelay sendmail[10299]: My unqualified host name
(vandelay) unknown; sleeping for retry

Please help - thanks,

Ben