Missing checkerboard on startx problem

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 4 02:05:59 UTC 2004

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> 2.6.8-rc2-mm2, kde3.3-beta2
>
> Startx has not, for quite some time now, displayed the checkerboard
> pattern that tells you the x-server is alive, and according to the
> folks on the x.org list, redhat patched that away quite some time
> back.
>
> As this is a quick, usefull check on the monitors condition, and
> really has no bearing on the startup time as it now shows a black
> screen during that time, can this be re-instated with the next x.org
> based update cycle, please?

Adding the back checkerboard pattern on startup would prevent a lot of
people from thinking that their computer was locked up. (blank screen,
seemingy no activity)

I believe the pattern is gone for good though. It is not there in later
versions of xorg either.

Adding it back, if mainstream has it, would reduce the needed amount of
patches. Allowing this for startx, since people using startx probably
appreciate the system startup messages and shutdown messages would not
be a distraction for runlevel 5 users.

Jim

--
I always have fun because I'm out of my mind!!!