Inappropriate content in Fedora Core 2

Jeff jeff at mindcloud.com
Fri Aug 6 17:45:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 04:45:27 -0400, Greg Swallow <gswallow at cfl.rr.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 07:43:19 +0100 Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
>> ... But to me what you described is called moral harassment...
>
> Might be harassment, but it is the reality we run into every today.
>
> More to point, Windows and/or Mac OS do not delivery with such content

I don't know about that, that little paperclip was winking pretty
suggestively at me. :)

> and, if Red Hat/Fedora wants business to seriously consider their
> product, it should do the same. Else businesses will continue to buy
> Windows and Mac OS and keep Linux in the closet.

Show me where Fedora is pushing businesses to use it?  Here is Objective
one from the fedora site

1. Create a complete general-purpose operating system with capabilities
equivalent to competing operating systems, built for and by a community.

That being the case, you have to expect a certain amount of
"individualism" in the product.  If you know there is
something that might be construed as offensive then remove it.  You have
complete control over it.  Different
cultures find offense to different things.

> Just as I will be doing this morning. I am considering one final
> hardware purchase to try to get nVidia running correctly on my boxes;
> one RHE WS3 and one FC2. If it will or does not work, I will drop Linux
> completely for our workstations and move these boxes out as servers. No
> GUI no problem.
>
> My employees do not need Linux at all. They are willing to go along with
> the change just to save me money. In turn, I am willing to spend money
> to protect them from any absurd legal dispute. That is why I am making a
> decision based on such a case 'history.'

What 'history'?  You've had problems with people suing over the
offensiveness of your operating systems?

>> ...I would hate to work there...
>
> You don't even have a chance of being interviewed.

That had to have been the most childish response ever.