listen to stream with xmms or mplayer

littleguru littleguru at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 6 20:43:28 UTC 2004

Sorry
but when I add this link to xmms playlist URL . nothing shows up in play
list .
even it doesn't show other files, sorry , it seems xmms can not play any
thing at all .
I have removed the xmms and want to install newer one but in xmms site
it says that i need
one of the followings :

    * ALSA output: ALSA 0.9.0 <http://www.alsa-project.org/> or better.
    * Esound output: esound 0.2.8
      <ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/esound/0.2/> or better.
    * Mikmod input: libmikmod 3.1.10
      <http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/apps/sound/libs/libmikmod-3.1.10.tar.gz>

    * Ogg Vorbis input: libvorbis <http://www.vorbis.com/download_unix.psp>
    * OpenGL Visual plugin: Mesa 3.0 <http://www.mesa3d.org> or better.

    what are they ? and is it necesary to have xmms with another
    software to works ? what about mplayer or real player ? can they
    play streams ?

thanks