RAID how-to

Jim Higson jh at 333.org
Sun Aug 8 21:30:58 UTC 2004

On Sunday 08 August 2004 17:57, Marc Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 11:29, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Am So, den 08.08.2004 schrieb Marc Williams um 17:27:
> > > Is there a software RAID tutorial, or how-to, or README that would be
> > > specific to Fedora?
> >
> > http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/x8664-multi-i
> >nstall-guide/s1-diskpartitioning.html
>
> That's pretty good.  Thanks for the link.  But I'm not sure it answers
> all my questions e.g. what is the wisdom (or not) of RAIDing the /boot
> partition?

Speed is not important, nor is the data likely to be very valuable, unles you
have a special reason to do so, don't.

> Same question for the swap partition?

Speed is important here, as is reliability to a point, since the computer is
likely to crash if the swap partition goes down during normal running. After
a reboot you won't be wanting to recover the data, so it depends how much you
care if your computer crashes when a hdd blow up.

Linux software RAID is a better bet than cheap "winRAID" controllers.