Wierd Up2Date problem

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 9 21:29:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 09:47:10PM +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 11:10:22AM -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> > See that's the problem, I don't KNOW which packages, as I can never get
> > up2date or yum to tell me what packages are available.  The notification
> > icon keeps flashing the red ! with '2 updates available (0 skipped)' in the
> > tool tip, but no packages show up when I run it.  Also, I don't have it set
> > to upgrade the kernels automatically, but I don't see any new kernels listed
> > either.  BTW, this is FC2, my fault, I should have mentioned that in the
> > first one.
>
> Try double-clicking on the red icon. That should show you a list of
> packages that are 'available'. I bet one of them is kernel-doc.
> If so, the way I got round this was to manaully remove the old
> one with
>     rpm -e kernel-doc
>
> then download the new RPM direct from the fedora download site and
> install it by hand with rpm -i

I suspect Dave has the ticket.  There are a couple packages
that have changed name or suffix (386 to noarch).

For example here is a pair.

    kernel-source-2.6.5-1.358.i386.hdr
    kernel-sourcecode-2.6.6-1.435.2.3.noarch.hdr

up2date has command line options like: --showall --show-orphans
that might make the discovery of the name changes visible.

To clear things up for the source package you must do something like:

   up2date install kernel-sourcecode

The rules in the new RPM will do the right thing with the old package.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Just say no to 74LS73 in 2004