Hummingbird Exceed and Xorg

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Wed Aug 11 13:41:00 UTC 2004

Russ Wheaton wrote:
> I've upgraded to fedora core two and i guess they've moved from XFree86 to Xorg.
>
> When I try to use Reflection X or Hummingbird eXceed to X into my LINUX box from
 > my Windoze workstation, the refresh on the screen is very very slow.
  So slow it
> is unusable.  For example, when I type an ls at the command prompt, it draws the
> results line by line probably just a little quicker than I could type the results
> myself!
>
> Any suggestions?   All help would be welcome ...

I've found that both FC1 and 2 were painfully slow to do remote X apps
through Exceed if they used the GTK2 antialiased fonts.  Apps which used
standard X fonts were plenty quick, and if you changed a slow app to not
do anti-aliasing then everything got a lot quicker.

If you're only after a terminal in X then try an xterm rather than
something like gnome-terminal and see if this has any effect.