mozilla help/about (no version number)

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Thu Aug 12 04:41:39 UTC 2004

D. D. Brierton wrote, On 08/11/2004 12:07 AM:
> On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 04:25, Gene Smith wrote:
>
>>I have noticed that the fedora rpm install of mozilla (at least on fc2)
>>does not show a major/minor version string on the help/about page. I
>>could not verify that my recent yum upgrade to moz 1.7.2 actually worked
>>this way.
>

> If I'm understanding you correctly that isn't what I'm seeing. If in
> Mozilla I do Help -> About Mozilla I get a new window with the red
> Mozilla logo and next to it:
>
> Mozilla 1.7.2
> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040803
>
> and then below that some copyright information.
>
> I'm using:
>
> $ rpm -qa | grep mozilla | sort
> mozilla-1.7.2-0.2.0
> mozilla-chat-1.7.2-0.2.0
> mozilla-devel-1.7.2-0.2.0
> mozilla-dom-inspector-1.7.2-0.2.0
> mozilla-j2re-1.4.2-9.1.fc2.dag
> mozilla-js-debugger-1.7.2-0.2.0
> mozilla-mail-1.7.2-0.2.0
> mozilla-nspr-1.7.2-0.2.0
> mozilla-nspr-devel-1.7.2-0.2.0
> mozilla-nss-1.7.2-0.2.0
> mozilla-nss-devel-1.7.2-0.2.0

Mine looks like this:
$ rpm -qa | grep mozilla | sort
mozilla-1.7.2-0.2.0
mozilla-chat-1.7.2-0.2.0
mozilla-mail-1.7.2-0.2.0
mozilla-nspr-1.7.2-0.2.0
mozilla-nss-1.7.2-0.2.0

>>(I did do a command line "mozilla --version" which showed the
>>new version.) I saw a version string with the tar.gz install and with
>>the windows install on the help/about page. This is basically what I see
>>  on help/about for 1.7.2:
>>
>>"Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux 2.2.16-22smp i686; en-US; m18)
>>Gecko/20010110 Netscape6/6.5"
>>
>>Don't see how this correlates to 1.7.2.
>

> Are you sure you haven't installed something which sets the UA string to
> something other than the default, or altered your prefs.js or user.js
> files by hand?

I can remove the string assigned to general.useragent.override (which is
my string above w/o a rv: substring in it) and I get help/about that
just says "Mozilla" (a link) with no further info. When I shutdown moz
and restart it the old override string comes back. My moz profile has
been carried over from many moz versions and a few OS upgrades too. So
should probably ask this on a mozilla list if no one here right off
knows what my problem is.  Thanks,

-gene