How do I mount a windows partition from another computer on the network?

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Thu Aug 12 14:54:34 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-08-12 09:42, Alexander Dalloz whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

>Am Do, den 12.08.2004 schrieb Andrew Konosky um 16:22:
>

>>Well, now I am not getting any errors telling me the file isn't there,
>>so I must have the syntax right now, but now it can't connect!
>>
>>//192.168.1.101://CARL/C$    /mnt/network/192.168.1.101/C    smbfs
>>uid=0,gid=500,umask=002,user    0 0
>>

>Sorry, I must miss something. What kind of share name is that?
>
>Either you use the IP of the sharing host or the UNC. What kind of
>construct did you build there? Does that really mount the C:\ drive
>shared on host Carl with IP 192.168.0.101? See the output of "mount".
>
>Alexander

The "C$" is a special administrative share name given the C drive during
installation.  I would suggest that you need to go into the C: drives
properties and make an additional share name for it, more conventional
like "DriveC".

--
Fritz Whittington
It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority. By definition, there are already enough people to do that. (G. H. Hardy)