New Hard Disk

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Fri Aug 13 03:53:24 UTC 2004

Mark Neidorff wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, James Pifer wrote:
>

>>I know this topic is discussed a lot and I've googled for a lot of
>>information. I still wouldn't mind some help, because of information
>>overload...
>>
>>I have a system with a 20gig drive. I'd like to move the whole install
>>to another drive, 120 gig, so I can use the 20 gig drive in another
>>system. I have the 120 gig drive installed right now as a slave.
>>
>>Can I?:
>>1) Create the same partitions on the new drive (boot, /, and swap)
>>2) boot off Knoppix and mount all the drives, 20 GB and 120 GB
>>3) use cp and copy the data from the 20 to the 120
>>4) remove the 20 and make the 120 the primary and only drive
>>5) reinstall(or restore) grub on the 120
>>
>>Is there an easier way to do this with both drives in the same machine?
>>

>Why not take a look at Mondorescue?  I've used it to back up a
>complete live file system, boot from the created CD, and then restore to a
>different drive.  Mondo will partition the drive for you.  In your case,
>Mondo will give you a chance to set up your own scheme, or it will take
>the same parititoning scheme that you currently have and allow you to use
>that exact scheme or make each (new) partition proportionatly larger.  For
>a "simple" program it does a great job!
>
>Mark

Well , mondo is an option.. but if the OP doesnt want to learn a new
tool (which is a sad decision) , he can do what he wants... I did it
once here.
I booted with one fedora rescue CD , mounted the partitions of the
source and destination drives , and copied everything. Then installed
grub on the new drive and I was ready... I also took the chance and
formatted the new partitions with XFS instead of ext3..

--
Pedro Macedo