Fedora 2 on a Presario 2100 Laptop?

John Cox & Christine Armond pkands108 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 16 21:11:52 UTC 2004

--- Olwe Melwasul <olwe at cpinternet.com> wrote:

> Anybody have experience putting Fedora 2 on a Presario 2100 laptop? I
>
> found a link at http://clevershark.com that talks about F1, but
> apparently there's different issues between 2.4 and 2.6. The first
> big
> question is do I need to get Partition Magic to partition the drive
> (currently totally XPed--with weird Compaq proprietary stuff on it),
> or
> can Fedora handle the repartitioning...or perhaps Mandrake 10, as I
> heard a rumor?
>
> Olwe

I am dual-booting XP and FC2 on a 2100us.  The only problems I've had
are
1. with the mousepad --worked fine with FC1 but you will need to
install the synaptics driver for FC2. I don't really use the pad so I
didn't do that.
2. If you connect via dialup you will need a driver. I bought the one
from Linuxant.com for 15.00 USD. There is a free version out there
somewhere.

3. In order to get P.Magic to work I had to run chkdsk /f to fix some
errors that PM objected to. I would recommend compacting the drive
first with swap turned off and also turning off the recovery feature
until after you change the partitions (XP defragmenter seems to do a
better job that way). After chkdsk I had no problems with PM.

Just a note: You won't be able to use your xp recovery disk after you
change the partition (without wiping out Linux). And if you have to
reinstall/recover using the xp system disk you will lose most of the
free software like Norton's, WinDVD,etc. For me that is no problem.

Good Luck.