List of laptop (pcmcia) wirelss network cards

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Aug 24 18:18:07 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 13:45, TroyGeek wrote:
> Does anyone have a list of pcmcia wireless networking cards (for my
> laptop) that work with fedora (currently running core 2) out of the box?
> I have three cards all of which I couldn't get working or the drivers
> don't work with the 2.6 kernel. I'd rather go to Best Buy, CompUSA, or
> some other store and buy a fairly inexpensive card and not have to tweak
> files, compile drivers, etc.
>
> thank you for your time!
>
> ~ TroyGeek ~

Not likely.  Linux support for wireless cards is not good IMHO.  What
you will need to do is identify the chip set of the card and find a
driver written for it or use ndiswrapper to use the windows driver.

I currently am using a D-Link DWL-G650 card using the prism54 driver.
It works.  Does not show up in the network config GUI as I would like
but it does work.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>