nvidia problems again....

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Aug 26 17:42:27 UTC 2004

Brian Fahrlander wrote:

> Date:
> Tue, 24 Aug 2004 02:25:01 -0600

> On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 03:09, dballester at kernpharma.com wrote:
>

>>Well, for a sysadmin or an advanceduserwithtimetowaste it's fine, but
>>if I wanna expand the GNU/Linux in my company, I must convince my
>>boss. And i can't say him: 'Well, may be 3 times monthly a new and
>>more advanced kernel can be automatically installed for you. Then,
>>after reboot, your screen will be flickering for a while, wait for 5
>>minutes aprox and then a message saying that X server could not be
>>started will be appear. Always answer 'NO' to all messages or your X
>>configuration may change, making PROBABLY
>>your X server refuse to start, or at least start as supposed. After
>>all messages as been answered, log in a console as root. Go, using
>>command line, to access the file where the nvidia is and execute it (
>>./ or path, etc... ). -Here explain nvidia installer procedure,
>>message and sense- After that, try to start your X server executing
>>startx, if all goes well, log out and start multiuser X mode ( telinit
>>5 ). If something goes wrong, stop your work and try to solve the
>>problem, if problem persist, call me.
>

>     I understand the feeling.  I had some trouble with Nvidia and the
> new kernels for a while.
>
>     But isn't it odd that, with all the technical explanation above that
> they _don't_ want, that they'll accept "It's broken and nobody knows how
> to fix it without a million-dollar support contract from Microsoft" is
> an acceptable alternative?
>
>     What you have to do is get some hardware set up, test out what you
> want to do, and THEN roll out the changes when you're satisfied with the
> results. I'm about to start a business of my own with the same
> technique; it's worked everywhere I've worked before.  Nothing's
> guaranteed, ya know?

I found that the RPM's didn't work for me either.

I don't do an auto kernel upgrade.  I manually install the kernel
(rpm -ivh kernel...) to give me a fall back.  I then install the
NVidia driver and reboot.

Now I thought I read that NVidia is working on including the driver
with the distros under their licencing agreement.
--
Robin Laing