Initrd.img dont load sata scsi kernel module

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 08:56:00 UTC 2004

Jose Luis Labarta wrote:
> I download vanilla kernel 2.6.8.1 and compile it, all seems work fine
> but when i try to load the new kernel i see a error, kernel cant mount
> root directory.

One option is simply to run without an initrd and compile everything
in.

Please note that you need an initrd to mount the root filesystem by
label. Without one, you will have to modify grub.conf to say something
like
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1 ro root=/dev/sda6

This is a slightly modified version of my grub.conf: I'm currently
running a custom-complied vanilla 2.6.8.1.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | ... and watched Richard Stallman ask one of the
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | waiting staff whether the spring rolls did indeed