Yum "ImportError" in FC2

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Aug 30 14:42:37 UTC 2004

On Monday 30 August 2004 06:47, CB wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Whenever I run Yum, I get the following:
>

>Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
>     import yummain
>   File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 31, in ?
>     import yumcomps
>   File "/usr/share/yum/yumcomps.py", line 4, in ?
>     import comps
>   File "/usr/share/yum/comps.py", line 5, in ?
>     import libxml2
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 1, in ?
>     import libxml2mod
>ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libxml2mod.so:
> undefined symbol: xmlXIncludeProcessFlags
>
>I also get the ImportError if I try to import libxml2 from the
> python console.
>
>I've tried using rpm to uninstall and re-install the libxml2,
>libxml2-python, and yum rpms which I downloaded from my nearest
> fedora core 2 mirror, but still the same problem. rpm -q shows my
> libxml2 & libxml2-python to be versions as follows: libxml2-2.6.8-1
>libxml2-python-2.6.8-1.
>
>It's possible that some manual flailing around with downloaded
> install scripts I did very late last night overwrote the libraries
> from the rpm's, but in that case wouldn't the libxml2 rpm
> un/re-installs have fixed the problem? Any ideas on how to go
> diagnosing from here?
>
>Cheers,
>
>CB.
A similar error report drive me crazy (its not a long drive) for a
couple of months, until I stumbled onto something that finally gave
me a meaningfull error message.

See if you have an /etc/pango/pango.modules file.  In my case it was
totally missing.  The file is a self-scan result, and can be
regenerated if its fubared by rerunning /usr/bin/pango-querymodules32
and redirecting it output to that file.

#>cd /etc/pango
#>/usr/bin/pango-querymodules32 >pango.modules

If the error persists, then something in the pango install may be
fubar.  But I had forceably reinstalled anything libxml2 or pango
related 6 or more times without resolving this on my system.

IMNSHO, the pango post install script is busted for not doing that
little bit of housekeeping regardless of whether or not its needed.
Its a bit like re-running ldconfig when a new library has been
installed, it can't hurt, and it would have helped immensely.

HTH

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)