FC2 AMD64 install error!

Peter pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Tue Aug 31 09:55:13 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 31.08.2004 schrieb Ram Kumar um 8:49:
> - When installing it does not initialize the X window system
> - I tried installing in text mode, then switching to X Windows, but it
> fails
> - When at text login prompt, it keeps refreshing the display in an
> attempt to start X Windows system

To avoid the flashing you may do the following:

After turning on your machine at the first screen you see grub and a
list of operating systems, in your case may be just on: Fedora. Move the
selection bar to the Fedora line and press
Now you can edit the startup parameters. Add the letter
to the end of the line. Your system will startup in single user mode,
which is a traditional text mode console.

You may edit the file /etc/inittab and change the line
  id:5:initdefault:   into   id:3:initdefault:

So the normal startup procedure will not start the xwindow system but
just a text console login.

Now you can try to fix the xwindow system without flickering. You can
try to start xwindows by the command
   startx

>   - Gives some error related to VESA driver & says 'unable to start X
> Windows system'
> - I installed my last copy of RedHat 9, which works beautifully on the
> same system
>   - Checked the settings from this install for VESA driver, monitor
> type, display frequency, etc... & applied to FC2 x86 64, but it still
> does not start X Windows

As a first step you may try to automatically configure your graphics
subsystem by
  system-config-display  --reconfig

It is a second try, maybe there went something wrong during
installation.  You can test your effort by the comand
  startx

It it doesn't help, you should inspect the xwindow log file using less
   less /var/log/Xorg.0.log
or may be additionally
   less /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old

for error messages. Usually you get a clue what to change. Otherwise
post it here together with information about your graphics hardware.

Additionally you may compare the xwindows configuration files of your
Fedora system and your RedHat system.
Fedora:
   less  /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Red Hat
   less  /etc/X11/XF86config

(the Red Hat file name my be a little bit different, I just can't
remember exactly, but you will recognise it).

Good luck

Peter