sendmail on a laptop

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Dec 1 09:02:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 00:08 -0400, Trevor Smith wrote:
> I run FC2 on a laptop and I'm playing with sendmail for various reasons.
> Currently I send through one of two ISPs' SMTP servers: either my web/email
> hosting provider's, mail.haligonian.com, when I'm at school or my local
> ISP's, smtp1.ns.sympatico.ca, when I'm at home.

Do either of these mail servers support message submission on port 587
with SMTP AUTH? That would be the "standard" way of solving this
problem, i.e. have your sendmail connect to your regular mail server
from wherever you are, using the submission port (to avoid outbound port
25 blocks that some ISPs have).

The problem you are seeing is most likely "relaying denied" when you're
trying to use a server from a network outside its allowed range. The
mail servers are right to do this in order to avoid being open relays
abusable by spammers. Providing SMTP AUTH allows you to demonstrate that
you're a legitimate user of the server and not a spammer.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>