HELP SSHD crashes on startup

John Aldrich john at chattanooga.net
Thu Dec 2 02:15:52 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 08:07 am, Christopher K. Johnson wrote:
> Alexander Apprich wrote:
>
> This is the same question and same answer as encountered on FC2 with the
> 2.6 kernel because support was added for ipv6.
>
> sshd is starting up and listening on all ipv6 addresses, then goes to
> listen on all ipv4 addresses and finds it is already doing so because
> the ipv6 scope includes the ipv4 scope.
> This is not a problem.  If you do not need ipv6 you may disable it and
> avoid other potential pitfalls by adding the following line to
> /etc/modprobe.conf:
> alias net-pf-10 off
>
> And then rebooting.  Yes, this is a rare Linux scenario where a reboot
> is necessary to make a change.
>
> If you do need ipv6 then just ignore the message.

It doesn't freakin' work! :( I've done what you suggested, and I can't ssh to
my box from outside and I still get the message in the log file... I also
tried "alias net-pf-6 off"  as suggested in an archived message on the RedHat
list.... *sigh* I /REALLY/ , really, wish that RedHat/Fedora wouldn't try to
"make things easier" by installing IPV6 by default! It seems to create more
headaches than it solves!

Can someone PLEASE help me turn off this IPV6 crap and get SSHD working?
please????