Fedora Core 3 can't detect a DVD.

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Dec 2 08:48:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 00:52 +0100, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> I can see from the archive that FC3 has severe problems with DVDs. I
> have, however, not seen any message desribing my problem with DVDs.
>
> Whenever I insert a DVD FC3 mounts it as a CD-ROM and consequently it is
> displayed as empty. The DVD in question is the downloaded FC3
> installation DVD. And it is correctly burnt because I have installed FC3
> from it. I discovered the problem with I wanted to update my FC3 system
> with an additional function and after it requested the DVD (actually CD
> no. 2) it wasn't able to read the DVD. Later I just inserted the DVD to
> see how it would be mounted and that's where I saw it mounted as a CD-
> ROM.
>
> I don't think I missed anything in the installation of FC3 I just wonder
> if there is anything I can do to make my FC3 system detect the DVD when
> one is inserted. Perhaps I should report it to Bugzilla?

Mounting it as a CD-ROM is the right thing to do. A data DVD like the
FC3 installation DVD is basically just a "big" CD.

However, if the mounted filesystem displays as empty rather than showing
the contents of the DVD, then that is a problem. It works fine here,
displaying correctly both for "ls" on the terminal and using nautilus.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>