Ditching FC3... for now =(

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 2 17:32:54 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Lotsa Cabo wrote:

> BTW: I don't think there was a mention of an earlier kernel-version.
>
> --> There was; on RedHat's site.  In fact, that's he same page where I
> learned about the clock tick issue.

<please post the url you are refering to>

The sugestion was - to avoid performance degredation in VMWare - use a
non-4G/4G kernel - i.e either a i586 kernel or a linuxant rebuild of
the i686 kernel. (these are not older kernels)

One way to do it is (install i586 version):

- make sure you have kernel-2.6.9-1.667 kernel installed and not
  kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3

rpm -q kernel
- boot to kernel-2.6.9-1.667 (by choosing it in the grub menu at boot time
- not remove kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3
rpm -e kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3

- Now obtain kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3.i586 and install it.
wget http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/updates/3/i386/kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3.i586.rpm
rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3.i586.rpm

> If the 1000Hz -> 100Hz is the only thing you need - just rebuild the
> FC3 kenel with it.
>
> --> Uh huh.  I've looked for idiot-proof instructions as to how to do this,
> but have not been successful.  The few times I've asked how, on this list,
> I've gotten pointed back to the same instructions that I did not clearly
> understand.  Hence, the reason I was going to follow the "semi-idiot-proof"
> instructions of installing the RPM for the older kernel... that I could do.
> Remember, I'm a newbie.  Sorry.

If you are able to try my previous 2 sugestions - I can give you
instructions on how to do this one.. And make sure you allocate
sufficient memory for the VM - perhaps atleast 256MB.

Satish