Auto-Mounting and Unmounting CDs, DVDs, USB drives etc.

fedora-list at webterminate.com fedora-list at webterminate.com
Thu Dec 2 21:11:04 UTC 2004

On Thursday 02 December 2004 22:03, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 fedora-list at webterminate.com wrote:
> > Dear Fedora List,
> >
> > When I show off my brand new FC3 system to Windows-centric friends, we
> > invariably get to a point where they'd like to see me open a Windows
> > Media File, or a MS Word Document. I'm proud that Xine and OpenOffice can
> > do that, only to be embarassed when my computer won't return the CD
> > they've given me the files on.
>
> just use the "eject" command, as long as no program is currently
> tying up the CD.
>
> rday

Thanks for the quick reply!
But that's my point! I don't want to use "eject"; after all, the drive has an
eject button which I'd like to use. It looks strange for a modern system to
have to type "eject" in a terminal window to get the CD out ;-)
Maybe I'm missing something very simple.
Also, I'd like to avoid using the gnome-volume-manager, if there's a
counterpart that's better integrated with KDE. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks,

Florian