How install Java JRE on FC3?

Hans Müller ndof at gmx.li
Fri Dec 3 12:50:25 UTC 2004

Hardy Merrill schrieb:
> --- Jim Higson <jh at 333.org> wrote:
>

>>On Friday 03 Dec 2004 12:24, Hardy Merrill wrote:
>>
>>>My goal last night was to get JEdit installed and
>>>working.
>>>
>>>This required Java, so I tried a few different
>>
>>ways to
>>
>>>install Java.  First I downloaded Sun's JRE SE
>>
>>1.4.2.
>>
>>>The install seemed to go fine, but in the end I
>>
>>would
>>
>>>get an error when trying to run JEdit - sorry, I
>>
>>don't
>>
>>>have the text of the error to copy/paste in.
>>>
>>>Then I went to fedorafaq.org and found
>>
>>instructions
>>
>>>for installing Java via yum, so I did
>>>
>>>   yum install j2re
>>>
>>>which installed j2re from "dag" since I have a dag
>>>repo defined.  But still when I try to run jedit I
>>
>>get
>>
>>>an error.
>>
>>Which is...?
>

> Sorry, like I said I'm not on that FC3 machine now so
> I don't have the error messages handy - I should have
> waited 'till tonight to post :-/
>
> At this point I don't know if it's a problem with Java
> or a problem with JEdit, but I was at least hoping to
> get a response or two from people who successfully
> installed *a* JRE and used a Java application, with a
> pointer to some instructions.
>
> I want to know if the "dag" repo JRE works fine for
> others.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Hardy

> http://my.yahoo.com

remmove the place holders.
The install the jvm 1.5 as rpm packge from sun.
then edit the .bash_profile and add the path of the bin files.
But 1.5 has a big bug. java webstart will not work. I have send this tu sun. And it will be correct
in the next release. But if you need java webstart, I have found a workaround.