cvs operations fail: "No route to host"

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Sat Dec 4 17:17:27 UTC 2004

On Saturday 04 December 2004 09:58, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i just upgraded an FC1 server to FC3, and (AFAICT) left alone
> the /home filesystem that contained the network-accessible CVS
> repo. (it wasn't technically an "upgrade" -- i actually did an
> install over top of the system-related filesystems, while
> preserving the others, like /home.  i've done that for a number
> of releases, with no real problems.)
>
>   after booting under FC3, and restoring
> /etc/xinetd.d/cvspserver, and restarting xinetd (all the regular
> stuff) to get the CVS server back online, every time i try to
> connect across the network to the server, i get:
>
>   $ cvs login
>   Logging in to :pserver:rob@<hostname>:2401/home/repository
>   CVS password:
>   cvs [login aborted]: connect to <hostname>(<IP address>):2401
>      failed: No route to host
>
> i've verified that the network is up, that i can ssh into the
> server, that xinetd is running, that cvspserver is on, that the
> CVS repo is unchanged from what it was before the re-install,
> etc.  i'm not sure what else i might be checking.

You should be able to telnet into your server from a remote system
on port 2401 to your pserver box.  If not, perhaps you haven't
opened up your iptables firewall for access to this port?

>   also, as a last resort, i logged directly into the server, and
> just tried to do a login and checkout locally:
>
>   $ export CVSROOT=:pserver:rob at localhost:/home/repository
> (legal?)

defaults to :local:)

> $ cvs login
>   Logging in to :pserver:rob at localhost:2401/home/repository
>   CVS password:
>   $ cvs co <project>
>   cvs checkout: Updating <project>
>   cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot stat /var/lock/cvs: No such file
> or directory
>   cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot stat /var/lock/cvs: No such file
> or directory
>   $
>
> huh?  this is a new one on me.  if i (as root) just create that
> directory with "mkdir", i get:
>
>   $ cvs co <project>
>   cvs checkout: Updating <project>
>   cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot make directory  \
>     /var/lock/cvs/<project>: Permission denied
>   (previous line repeated)
>
> so if i change /var/lock/cvs to have mode 777 (yuck), then ...
> success, i can check out the project locally.  i'm pretty sure
> this isn't the officially-sanctioned technique, and it's starting
> to make me a little queasy.

Do you have a "LockDir" specified in your CVSROOT/config file?
Don't forget that everyone must have write permission to your
LockDir in order to check out files from the repository.

Regards, Mike Klinke