Enterprise mail server

John Burton j.c.burton at gats-inc.com
Mon Dec 6 14:52:57 UTC 2004

Chris Mason wrote:

>I'm looking for feedback on experiences of implementing an enterprise mail
>server with IMAP and webmail, preferably groupware, on our Dual Xeon Fedora
>server. We currently have sendmail, uw-imap, squirrelmail, in standard
>Redhat configuration, and we are having huge load problems as the present
>setup is not capable of supporting the needs of our users. Large mail
>folders bring the server to it's knees. We only have 25 users but they
>travel and use the mail system as a filing system, routinely saving 10MB
>emails and never cleaning up old mail.

HI Chris,
We're currently using postfix + cyrus-imap + squirrelmail. We have about
the same number of users many of whom travel on a regular basis. Many of
our users keep large quantities of mail on the  mail server (several
hundred MBs is fairly common for a user). Our setup also does spam
checking/blocking, defanging (removing potential executables) and virus
checking. We are also using a Dual Xeon system, but ours doesn't even
seem to be breaking a sweat. We've found the combination of postfix and
cyrus-imap to provide very good performance..

John