KVM and mouse stability

Chris Hewitt fedlist at manordata.uklinux.net
Mon Dec 6 19:09:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 11:44, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Sunday 05 December 2004 01:57 pm, Chris Hewitt wrote:
> >
> > If you look at the archives there are many posts on this topic. The root
> > problem seems to be that the Belkin KVM does not do keep-alive so the
> > mouse/keyboard is effectively detached from the computer unless it is
> > the selected option on the KVM. Interestingly enough, I have found this
> > with FC1 too, but not RH7.3 or 7.2.
> >
> > I have psmouse.proto=bare in the kernel line in grub.conf and I don't
> > have any problem. Does this work in your case?
> >
> No, but I'm wondering what changed between RH9 and FC3 that it doesn't work
> now...

My guess, the kernel.

> Also, what is the *exact* option one uses? Finally, last time I tried to edit
> my grub.conf, I ended up screwing things up so badly I couldn't boot off the
> hdd and had to boot off floppy. Obviously that's not going to work this time.
> I'd appreciate some help getting this fixed...

My kernel line in grub.conf for FC3 is "kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667
psmouse.proto=bare ro root=/dev/hdb7 rhgb quiet". This is for the
original kernel and my root partition so yours may differ.

If you are worried about messing up grub.conf and not being able to
boot, you could copy the whole 4 lines and give it a different title
then edit that. This way you get an extra bootup option in the grub list
and if you have messed up the edited one you can boot from the original.

Hope this helps.

Chris