Getting java to work?

Mark Eggers mdeggers at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 7 21:30:45 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 14:32 -0600, shashank bhide wrote:
> Hi,
>    I seem to have the same problem, I installed firefox and did
> exactly as told in this faq
> (http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#plugins). However,
> firefox refused to open up after I had created a sym link under the
> Firefox plugin directory.
>  FC3 comes with preinstalled Firefox, that too would not startup if I
> were to create a sym link for the java plugin under its (Firefox's)
> plugin directory.

Odd.  I just checked my installation of Firefox.  I used a different
version before the RPM came out.  I have since moved to the Fedora Core
RPM.

In my /usr/lib/firefox-1.0/plugins directory, I have a soft link (ln -s)
to the Java plugin library in:

/usr/java/jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

/usr/java is actually a link on my system to /usr/j2sdk1.4.2_06.  I've
installed Java by hand obtained from Sun at:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

I used the binary package and not the RPM.  That way I can gradually
migrate to jdk1.5.0 as I clean up code.

I've also done the following:

1. Moved the GNU Java compiler out of my path
2. Added /usr/java/bin to the PATH in /etc/profile (works for all users)
3. Added JAVA_HOME=/usr/java in /etc/profile (works for all users)

I now have j2sdk1.4.2_06 available for all accounts.  For testing
jdk1.5, I change my path (remove /usr/java/bin and add /usr/jdk1.5/bin),
and set my JAVA_HOME environment variable to /usr/jdk1.5.

I haven't tried the 1.5 plugin with Firefox yet.  That's on a long list
of things to do.

-----
/mde/
just my two cents . . . .