FC3- System Takes Minutes To Open Any Application

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Dec 8 16:10:05 UTC 2004

Amit Rana wrote:
> Hi,
> I shifted to FC3 last week and since then my system is working SO slow.
>
> P4-M 1.8, 512MB RAM
>
> Load Average is mostly 2+, RAM also get used free soon. Following is
> the output of top, free, vmstat commands when I was only running
> firefox and 1 terminal
>
> [root at localhost ~]# free -m
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 503 488 15 0 108 141
> -/+ buffers/cache: 238 265
> Swap: 1019 0 1019
>
> [root at localhost Desktop]# vmstat
> procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- --system-- ----cpu----
> r b swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id wa
> 1 2 276 6880 99140 178664 0 1 74 29 1041 390 7 2 19 73

I am no expert but looking at vmstat, I noticed that there are 1041
interrupts received and 390 context switches.  On my system
(workstation) I have 7 interrupts and 17 context switches.  On my
workstation I have seti-boinc running and has been up for 25 days.

Also i/o waiting is at 73%.  Something is making allot of calls to the
processor and thus loading it down.

What is causing all the interrupts?  Some USB device?  What devices
are connected to the computer?  What services are running?  Try
shutting services off until you find what is causing the problem.

--
Robin Laing
Instrumentation Technologist   Voice: 1.403.544.4762