Dump errors with selinux

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Dec 9 10:18:21 UTC 2004

We've used dump/restore for our backups since way back in RH7.x.
Unfortunately after our recent upgrade to FC3 I'm getting a ton of
errors from it due to the extra ACLs required for selinux.

$ more dump.09-12-04.log
   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Thu Dec  9 08:46:18 2004
   DUMP: Dumping /dev/sda6 (/) to /dev/nst0
   DUMP: Label: /
   DUMP: Writing 10 Kilobyte records
   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
   DUMP: estimated 401819 blocks.
   DUMP: Volume 1 started with block 1 at: Thu Dec  9 08:46:19 2004
   DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
   DUMP: ACLs in inode #12 won't be dumped
   DUMP: ACLs in inode #102 won't be dumped
   DUMP: ACLs in inode #142 won't be dumped
   DUMP: ACLs in inode #143 won't be dumped
   DUMP: ACLs in inode #144 won't be dumped
   DUMP: ACLs in inode #146 won't be dumped
   DUMP: ACLs in inode #148 won't be dumped
   DUMP: ACLs in inode #191 won't be dumped
   DUMP: ACLs in inode #200 won't be dumped
   DUMP: ACLs in inode #207 won't be dumped
   DUMP: ACLs in inode #208 won't be dumped
   DUMP: ACLs in inode #212 won't be dumped

[and a LOAD more of these]

So a few questions:

Is there an option for dump which will fix this (I couldn't find
anything which looked useful in the man page)?

Is this a bug?

Am I going to have to look for another backup solution?  If so what
other programs do correctly handle ACLs? Tar? Cpio?

Thanks for any info.

Simon.