Nautilus in Browser mode by default?

Eric Scott scottclansman at cwazy.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 04:03:33 UTC 2004

Jim wrote:

>selct your start button (bottom left corner)
>goto -->System Tools --> Configuration Editor
>
>select apps--> Nautilus-->Preferences
>
>look for the key named "always_use_browser"
>select the box next to always_use_browser to enable it.
>read the message in the dialog box below after you enable it
>

>On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:23:17 -0600, Eric Scott
><scottclansman at cwazy.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Yo;  I just installed Fedora 2 a couple weeks ago (Former
>>Mandrake/SuSE/Debian tinkerer... fairly new to Linux in general), and
>>have been trying to give the default Windows95/Old Mac OS spread-out
>>method of Nautilus's windows a chance... and am about to blow over the
>>top.  I find myself running "nautilus --browser"more and more often...
>>
>>*How do I get Nautilus to run in browser mode by default, like it used
>>to?* (The last version of RedHat I used was 8.0... and it was fine in
>>this respect.)  Do people really like the spread-out method that much?
>>Or did RedHat make an executive decision... isn't this a community
>>project?  Bla.  Just in case you hadn't got it, the Explorer-98 style
>>(Side pane, address bar, navigation buttons) was an ADVANCEMENT over the
>>Explorer-95 style, IMHO (Yes yes, I'm assuming that Microsoft was the
>>first to make file managers act like web browsers, but I could be wrong,
>>after all, have they ever inovated before?).
>>
>>Thanx,
>>    ES
>>
>>--

Thankyou! Now I feel like I'm using a *real* operating system again
;-).   Forgive me for my ranting, but I was becoming quite frustrated.
While we're on configuring gnome...  is there a way to, for example, set
nautilus to use the flat-blue icons, but the rest of the system to use
bluecurve?  Sounds odd, but I like the bluecurve icons in everything...
except their folder and file icons that pop up in Nautilus.
    cheerio,
             ES