Same named packages, different dependencies

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Dec 10 05:27:38 UTC 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 A1tmblwd at netscape.net wrote:

> Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 A1tmblwd at netscape.net wrote:
> >
> >> Dag Wieer's package has the least dependencies. After my last
> >> experience this would appear to be for the good. The code for
> >> perl-XML-Parser comes from a common source, www.cpan.org.  So, why the
> >> difference in dependencies?  Why are third-party packagers not using the
> >> source rpm and spec file from Fedora Core so that this difference in
> >> dependencies does not occur?
> >
> >Because at the point that this was packaged, there was no alternative. My
> >original package existed before any official one.
>
> Dag, please clarify.  Do you mean that you were the first to put out a
> perl-XML-Parser for a Redhat/Fedora release and that RedHat/Fedora later
> added the module to their distribution

Correct. I don't have access to my buildsystem currently to verify exactly
at what point I added it. I think it was for RHEL3 and prior distros.

I did not introduce it to replace a core package. And personally I think
people are making an elephant out of a musquito :) (Dutch expression)

If you care what repositories can and can not do, look at apt's pinning or
smart's priorities. Or stay away altogether from what you don't trust.
I don't get paid for every extra user, so it won't make a difference.