I'll rephrase the question: FC2->FC3

Andrew Choens achoens at frontiernet.net
Sun Dec 12 04:57:12 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 23:06 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 07:56:52PM -0800, Jim Lowman wrote:
>
>  > Since I had no problem running at 1600x1200 resolution on my
>  > Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop under FC2, can I simply reinstall FC2
>  > and let up2date update all of the packages?  Or will I miss some
>  > new features in FC3 going this route?
>
> SELinux for one.
>
>  > It seems odd that my video card and LCD screen would work fine
>  > at higher resolutions under FC2, but not under FC3.  I must be
>  > missing something obvious.
>
> Sounds like a regression in the Xorg code. Worth filing a bug
> in bugzilla over.  Make sure it still happens with all the
> latest FC3 updates though, there have been some Xorg updates
> which may have already fixed this issue.
>
> 		Dave

I don't think I would do this.  I think you'll just waste a bunch of
time.  If there's an easy way to compare the xorg.conf file that
Anaconda generates from FC2 to the one made in FC3, it might be worth
it, but the previous poster is probably right, it's some kind of a
regression in xorg itself, so when you upgraded the behavior would
return.

Try upgrading to the newest version.  Since it was working at one point
give them a few weeks and it will probably start working again.  Then,
don't upgrade X unless you really need to.  I've had problems with minor
X upgrades in Fedora on my laptop, and I tend to ignore updates unless
it involves a major security hole.

--andy