editing fstab file ??

Timothy Payne tim at tmpco.com
Sun Dec 12 22:21:43 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 19:16 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am So, den 12.12.2004 schrieb Jim um 19:09:
>
> > i tried to mount the hard drive and i get this message
> > [jim at My_World ~]$ mount /dev/hdb1
> > mount: can't find /dev/hdb1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
> > [jim at My_World ~]$
>
> If there is no corresponding fstab entry then the mount command must be
> complete. As the manpage says:
>
>        The standard form of the mount command, is
>               mount -t type device dir
>
> > i opened the fstab file using
> > [jim at My_World ~]$ vi fstab
> >
> > the file is empty
>
> 1) You have not enough permissions to edit the fstab as you are not root
> or using sudo
> 2) You are not in the /etc directory nor giving the complete path to the
> file.
>
> > the man pages are making me more confused
> > or should i be opening ther fstab file under root ?
>
> Yes, you must have root permissions to edit the /etc/fstab.
>
> > James Lawrence
>
> Alexander

I think you may be confused by the fact you must tell mount everything
to do.  As Alexander said:

>        The standard form of the mount command, is
>               mount -t type device dir

mount -t "what kind of file system type"  device "like /dev/hdb1"  dir
"make a directory in /mnt/drive2"  telling mount where you want to
access the files for that device.

You can do this with out logging out and back in as root by using
su - root from the command line you will be asked for root's password.
BUT, as root you are running around with a loaded gun and if you tell
Linux to do something it will no questions asked.

Try google first like "linux mounting windows XP second drive" or what
ever your file system is.  You will find examples of how people made it
work.

Read first, become root later.

Tim...
--